Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Paramore




A band named Paramore has recently scored a spot on the new motion picture album, Twilight with their song, Decode. I never really knew the band, only heard of them until now!
I was doing some research on their latest album, Riot!. I checked out a few of their songs, 'Misery Business' She is singing about wanting a boy but some other girl takes him away and eight months later gives him up and she starts singing:

Whoa, I never meant to brag
But, I got him where I want him now.
Whoa, it was never my intention to brag
To steal it all away from you now.
But god does it feel so good,
Cause I got him where I want him now.
And if you could then you know you would.

Eh? The band members are professing Christians and I don't see it. Blaspheming the Lords name. The worst thing is, she knows she did this, this is what she had to say,

I'm ashamed to say that, although I'm a believer in Jesus Christ and i claim him as my God, when i wrote those lyrics i wasn't addressing him. i was using his name casually. in vain, to be blunt. if you know much about the Christian religion (which I'm not too fond of addressing my faith as), you'll probably know that one of the ten commandments is "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain"... it goes on to say, "...for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain." As a believer in Christ, that last part scares the hell out of me. i don't want to be held accountable for being the cause of so many people using his name in vain. you don't have to believe in what i believe and no one in Paramore is ever going to go around forcing our faith into people's lives...
but believer or not, i might have led some of ya'll to believe that i take my Saviour lightly. and i don't.

Why is it hard to say you're a Christian? This statement alone says a lot about Hayley Willaim's faith. She's cussing on the livejournal, reading all the Twilight books, telling people to buy The Shack and watching the Harry Potter movies, what 'Christian' signal does that send?
Another thing, in Charlie Daniels 'The Devil went down to Georgia' he said Son of a *****. When he became a Christian he changed the lyrics to, Son of a gun.
If Paramore knows about the song, why don't they cut the song.

About forcing faith, Matt 28:19 says to spread the Gospel not keep it to our selfs.

No Christian should be saying they don't forgive someone from the past and call them a whore in the song that blasphemes the Almighty God. God calls us to forgive and vengeance be his.

The music video is just as horrible as the song. She doesn't seem to be so sad when saying, But god does it feel so good,! It shows a girl going around acting top dog doing what she wants; for instance, cutting a girls long braid off, throwing an injured boy into the wall and nastily making out with a boy because he was flirting with his girlfriend. In the end the Paramore group comes out of a room and confronts her. The lead singer (Hayley) smirks before reaching in the girl's low cut dress pulling out some bra cups and wiping away her make-up. They walk away acting so proud that they 'taught her a lesson'.

Bottom line, Christians should not listen to bands such as these. They, I believe, are more of a danger. You would be better off listening to secular artists than Mute math, Paramore, 12 Stones and many other professing Christians who are in bands. I can't stress enough how we need discernment when looking for things in this world.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok i have to say I totally agree with you about that song, when I heard that (and saw the music video) I was like, whaaat??

Well, I am glad she said she was sorry for writing it, (but if you were truely sorry I think you would change the lyric as you pointed out..) I never go to their live journal so I didn't know about the other thing. Anyway needless to say I do skip that track when I listen to their CD, but I don't think that means you need to write the band off entirely, none of their other songs (that I have heard anyway) have anything objectionable.
I mean, it's like a few other bands, I love the song 'Hey there Delilah' by the Plain White T's, but I don't listen to any of their other music. Discernment is very important, personally I think it's Ok to just pick out the good songs from artists that you might otherwise not listen too. Anyway.. lol

RingHeart said...

Chick: I'm sorry if you can not see them for whom they are, if they really were Christians they would not sit there and start cussing, yeah it's a little different when you slip up and say them, but it is another thing to take time and type the words.

1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Anonymous said...

No I know what you are saying, when I first heard that song I did question if they were Christian (they might not be). They have never claimed to be a 'Christian band' as far as I know.
I'm just saying they have some other good songs that don't say anything bad, so I don't have a problem with listening to their other songs.
*deep breath* haha I was pretty sure I would get a response to that one. ;)

P.S. Sorry I have not emailed for a while, I really have no excuse.

Soul Surfer said...

No they in fact claim to NOT to be a Christian band, BUT they claim to be Christians in a secular band; which does not exempt them from the same expectations of a professing Christian band.

(2007 absolutepunk.net)
Because of your involvement with TWLOHA, it seems like a lot of people like to assume you are a Christian band, or at least heavily influenced by religion. Are you?

Hayley: We’re actually atheists. (laughs) No, personally, we believe in Jesus Christ.
Josh: We are Christian, but we’re not a Christian band. We’re just like everyone else, you know? We have our own beliefs.

**News Flash** Demons believe in Jesus, Satan believes in Jesus. Belief in Jesus DOES NOT, I repeat DOES NOT make you a Christian.. Okay now back to my response.

Once again, you have to choose sides, you can’t be saved and do what ever you want. Christ says you will have to choose sides ( Mat 6:24 ) but I have argued this point and given God’s response and if others want to stand in their own understanding and defend this bands sinful ways then there is nothing I or anyone can say. If God’s word isn’t the foundation of truth that we can come together in agreement on and the standard for which we live by, then I don’t know what defines us from any other religion and no wonder the world sees us as irrelevant w/ an irrelevant message. We’re the ones who have changed and watered his message down. God is still the same and his word as relevant and unchanged as when he spoke it!

Hebrews 10:26
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Mat 7:24-27
"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
"But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall."

Paramore and others like them are therefore w/ out an excuse. God will hold their faith accountable. Calling one a Christian doesn’t make one a Christian, neither does singing a good moral song. Mat 7:21
"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.”
This should scare every one of us. I guess I’ld rather give up things in question than to gamble w/ my salvation. A life time w/ Christ is worth more than a stupid song, book, movie OR friend.

Be of good cheer Cougar, it isn’t easy to come out and deliver an unpopular message. Jesus is the best example of having an unpopular message and the “Church” in those days crucified Him for it. They didn’t agree w/ what He said either.
Just know that we were once fooled by the themed Christian genre as well. It was the diligent study and teaching of God’s word we developed a Biblical world view.

Anonymous said...

Soulsurfer: Don't get me wrong I am not trying to defend what they did/said, yes if you claim to be Christian it should show in your actions. I was only part I didn't totally agree with Cougar about is the part at the end when she said Christian's shouldn't listen to them, I still don't have a problem with listening to their good songs. But thats just me..
Cougar: haha Don't worry about it being the bearer of bad news sucks but like your mom says, it's worth it. :)

Soul Surfer said...

Chick ~
I was talking directly to Paramore and some others bands. I was also talking directly to specific Christians who market and 'deffend' this stuff.
Moreover I was responding to Cougars blog.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh ok. haha Sorry then. :D

Anonymous said...

wow man you have some interesting friends. Do they listen to what you say ever?

D said...

QUESTION.SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT U ALL ONLY LISTEN TO "CHRISTIAN" MUSIC???
D

Soul Surfer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soul Surfer said...

C'mon, quit being snarky. You know we listen to different things.
I don't do the whole "Christian music" scene at all. I love music and I listen to what I like knowing I must account for what I listen to.
I can't make anyone see what is wrong w/ this subject but the fact that you would even respond on here when you care nothing for Cougar or our opinions proves my point. This ain't about a discussion or fellowship, it is mindless devotion to music that leads one away from Godly things.
<><